University Counseling Podcast
University Counseling Podcast
Mental Health Tips & Strategies
This Week on University Counseling Podcast
October 11, 2021
In this episode, a counselor talks about how journaling can helpful and the variety of ways a person can journal.
Listen to all the podcast episodes from our library below or find us on your favorite platform. Just search for "University Counseling Podcast" on Apple, Google, Anchor, Breaker, Overcast and more. New episodes come out weekly so be sure to come back or follow us wherever you listen to podcasts.
- Episode 46: Neck & Shoulder Mindful Breathing
A counselor guides the listener in a breathing exercise that focuses on mindful breath and relaxing the neck and shoulders.
- Episode 45: Time Management Help
In this episode, a counselor provides some strategies to help increase time management skills.
- Episode 44: The ABC of CBT
You can learn the ABC of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). You can use the ABC model to help you challenge irrational thoughts as well as learn cognitive distortions. This allows you to restructure these beliefs and adapt a healthier response.
- Episode 43: Roommate Communication
A counselor talks about identifying and communicating living expectations, expressing your needs, and addressing concerns with roommate(s).
- Episode 42: Why Can't You Just Accept It? (08/30/21)
Ever feel like you just can't accept something? Want to be more accepting of a situation, emotion, or relationship? Give this quick podcast a listen and see how to engage in acceptance skills to make life a little easier. Acceptance as a therapeutic technique is empirically supported and can help with anxiety, rumination, overthinking, and depressive symptom!
- Episode 41: Walking Meditation (08/23/21)
A counselor walks you through a brief walking meditation.
- Episode 40: Stress In College (08/16/21)
Welcome back OSU Students! A counselor briefly talks about experiencing stress in college and ways to cope with it.
- Episode 39: Take a Break From Stress (08/09/21)
Take a quick break from stress with a counselor!
- Episode 38: Boundary Basics (07/26/21)
In this episode, we will be exploring what healthy boundaries are and how to set them with people in your life. If you want more information on boundaries, check out the book Set Boundaries, Find Peace by Nedra Tawaab or follow her on Instagram.
- Episode 37: Mindful Breath (07/19/21)
Take a moment out of your day to relax and focus on your breathing with a counselor.
- Episode 36: Stress Less Guided Breathing Exercise (07/12/21)
Stressed? A counselor guides the listener through a brief guided breathing exercise to help decrease stress and feel more relaxed.
- Episode 35: Trust Me, You'll Want to Listen To This (07/06/21)
Do you feel yourself having issues with trusting others or even yourself? Listen to this episode to learn how to start looking for trustworthy qualities in others!
- Episode 34: Guided Self-Love Meditation (06/28/21)
A counselor guides the listener through a brief self-love meditation.
- Episode 33: 5-4-3-2-1 Guided Grounding With Music (06/14/21)
In this episode, a counselor revisits a previous podcast topic, adds musics to help further ground the listener while engaging in a 5-4-3-2-1 grounding exercise.
- Episode 32: Coping Skills (06/07/21)
A counselor discusses what a coping skill is and the different types of coping skills.
- Episode 31: Progressive Muscle Relaxation (06/01/21)
A counselor will walk you through a progressive muscle relaxation exercise. Progressive muscle relaxation is an exercise that reduces stress and anxiety in the body by having you slowly tense and then relax each muscle.
- Episode 30: Brief Bedtime Meditation (05/24/21)
Trouble sleeping? Try this brief guided meditation by one of our counselors.
- Episode 29: Perfectionism (05/17/21)
A counselor discusses maladaptive perfectionism. Learn what it is, why it is unhealthy, and ways to start addressing it.
- Episode 28: Body Scan (05/10/21)
A counselor will walk you through a brief body scan meditation.
- Episode 27: Anger Iceberg (05/03/21)
In this episode, a counselor talks about the anger iceberg and anger as a secondary emotion.
- Episode 26: Sleep Hygiene (04/26/21)
In this episode, a counseling intern focuses on sleep hygiene, or routines surrounding sleep practices that help ensure individuals get the best sleep possible. Practical tips are given on implementing sleep hygiene practices into a person's regular routine.
- Episode 25: Imposter Syndrome (04/19/21)
In this podcast, a counselor discusses imposter syndrome, what it is, and ways to overcome it.
Get Podcast: Imposter Syndrome
- Episode 24: Window of Tolerance (04/12/21)
Managing emotions can be difficult! A counselor talks about a concept called the window of tolerance to better help you identify when you've become dysregulated and ways to get you back into your optimal tolerance zone.
- Episode 23: Suicide Warning Signs (04/05/21)
This podcast is about suicide and the warning signs. It is important to know the signs, not only for ourselves but for others. Early detection of warning signs can lead to professional help and can even save a life.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Episode 22: Sexual Assault Awareness Month (03/29/21)
In this podcast a counselor discusses Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Sexual Assault Awareness Month is annually observed in April. The mission of this month is to raise awareness about sexual violence around the world, and to educate communities on how to prevent it. Here is a link to some of the statistics mentioned in the podcast: www.nsvrc.org/statistics.
- Episode 21: Anxiety and Caffeine Connection (03/22/21)
In this episode, a counselor talks about the connection between anxiety and caffeine and also gives suggestions to help manage symptoms of anxiety while consuming caffeine.
- Episode 20: Guided Breathing - Find Your Calm (03/15/21)
In this episode, a counselor guides the listener through a guided breathing exercise to help destress and find your calm.
- Episode 19: How to Feel Your Feelings (03/08/21)
In this episode, listeners will learn five steps to feel their feelings and learn more about their emotions.
- Episode 18: Communicating With I-Statements (03/01/21)
In this episode, a counselor talks about the benefits of using I-Statements and how to use them in conversations.
- Episode 17: Mental Health Stigma (02/22/21)
In the episode, a counselor talks about some ways a person can help minimize mental health stigma on an individual basis.
- Episode 16: Loving Yourself With Positive Affirmations (02/11/21)
In this episode, a counselor talks briefly about how to create, write, and use positive affirmations to help increase self-love.
- Episode 15: Anticipatory Anxiety (02/01/21)
In this episode, a counselor talks about one of the ways to approach managing anticipatory anxiety.
- Episode 14: Negative to Factual Self-Talk (01/21/21)
In this episode, a counselor shares one technique to help a person reframe negative self-talk to more factual, less judgmental statements.
- Episode 13: Coping Skills (01/11/21)
In this episode, a counselor talks about ways to identify coping skills and use them intentionally while also exploring new ways of coping.
- Episode 12: New Year's Resolution AKA Goal Setting (01/04/21)
'Tis the season for New Year’s resolutions which is basically setting a goal and trying to achieve it. In this episode, a counselor talks about a strategy called SMART to help guide you to set Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic goals in a Timely manner.
- Episode 11: Tips on Taking a Break (12/22/20)
In this episode, a counselor gives a couple quick tips on how to take a break and enjoy it to its fullest!
- Episode 10: Cognitive Defusion (12/10/20)
In this episode, listeners will learn about an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy technique called cognitive defusion. This technique can help decrease anxiety and depression symptoms by helping individuals separate themselves from their thoughts.
- Episode 9: Mindful Eating Tips (11/17/20)
In this episode, listeners will learn a variety of mindful eating tips that were shared by several different professionals on campus.
- Episode 8: Square Breathing Guided Exercise (11/09/20)
In this episode, a counselor guides the listener through a square breathing exercise. Like many breathing exercises, this technique can help decrease anxiety and stress while also increasing focus.
- Episode 7: Virtual Mental Health Q&A Recording (11/04/20)
- Episode 6: Comparative Suffering (11/02/20)
Tune in to learn about comparative suffering, how it can be harmful, and what you can do instead.
- Episode 5: 5-4-3-2-1 Guided Grounding Exercise (10/26/20)
In this episode, a counselor guides listeners through a 5-4-3-2-1 grounding exercise using the five senses. This technique can help listeners feel more in-the-moment, decrease anxiety and increase focus.
- Episode 4: Relationships, pt.2 (04/29/20)
Tune in to hear from our guest Kelsey, to hear some helpful tips about social distancing with our partners.
- Episode 3: Relationships, pt.1 (04/28/20)
Tune in to learn about helpful tips for relationships during social distancing.
- Episode 2: Collective Trauma (04/13/20)
Tune in to hear more about what trauma is and how we can use that information to make sense of our response to the pandemic.
- Episode 1: Self Care (04/07/20)
Tune in to hear a few helpful tips about self care.