Skip to main content

University Counseling Services

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What do I do if I am in crisis?

    If you are in need of immediate assistance, visit the emergency contacts page.

  • Who is eligible for services?

    Currently enrolled OSU and NOC-Stillwater students are eligible for services. During summer semesters, students are eligible for counseling if enrolled in summer or fall courses.

  • How much do services cost?

    Prices can be found on each service's page:

    Student Counseling Center

    Alcohol and Substance Abuse Center

    Walk-In Clinic

    Grief Counseling

    Group Counseling


    Students may apply for a fee waiver or reduction; determination is made by the SCC and Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid based upon financial need. The SCC does not accept or bill insurance.

  • What can I expect in individual counseling?

    Counseling is a confidential process to help you learn about coping strategies and about yourself. Counseling may involve sharing sensitive, personal or private information that could be distressing at times; your counselor is available to support you through the process.

  • Can I schedule an appointment for someone else?

    Only the person utilizing services may schedule appointments.


    If there is concern a student (or anyone) might be a danger to themselves or others, call 911, OSU Police at 405-744-6523, Stillwater Police at 405-372-4171 or get the individual to the nearest emergency room.

  • What is the confidentiality policy?

    Appointments, session content, progress and other records are confidential. No record of counseling is contained in academic records. Treatment information will not be disclosed outside the SCC without your written consent with the exception of the following situations.

    • Imminent Harm to Self
    • Imminent Harm to Others
    • Abuse of Vulnerable Individuals
    • Court Order
    • Treatment of Minors
    • Technology
    • Group/Couple Counseling, Consultation and Supervision
    • Client Records
  • Will my counselor be a graduate student or a professional?

    The counseling staff have doctoral or master's degrees and are licensed or license-eligible. Doctoral and master's level graduate students, supervised by professional staff, also train at the center.

Back To Top